Together, L-theanine and Caffeine are considered one of the most commonly used and popular nootropic stack options for beginners. Many would consider L-Theanine to be the most versatile “natural smart drug” that can be used alongside other herbs and substances. The pharmacological implications of supplementing L-Theanine has a wide variety of applications. Over 145 scientific studies have been done on L-Theanine according to Pubmed. Scientific Name: Gamma-ethylamino-L-glutamic acid
- Can increase levels of GABA, Dopamine and Serotonin in the brain, which may contribute to state of wellbeing, whilst easing tension and stress (4).
- L-Theanine has been proven to stimulate Alpha Waves in the brain, especially in the posterior portions of the cortex, thus producing a feeling of relaxation, which is directly equivalent to how one would feel after meditating/meditation (6, 7).
- Reduces the jitters from caffeine and other stimulants (8).
- Enhances reaction time (9).
- Enhances short term memory (10).
- Increases BDNF expression and NGF (Nerve Growth factor), which mimics the response of exercise in the brain (11), leading to profound effects on improving neurogenesis and neuroplasticity.
- Does not act as a GABA agonist, thus does not possess addictive potential nor will it cause any downregulation of GABA receptors (12).
- Decreases cortisol, the body’s master stress hormone, which can lead to low mood, poor ability to cope and general feelings of helplessness (1, 2).
- Can calm down a racing mind at night, and thus promote healthy sleep quality (3).
- Lowers glutamate, which may prevent excitotoxicity (death of brain cells) (20).
- Quite possibly through a reduction cortisol, L-Theanine may display anti-obesity effects (8).
- Extends lifespan in worms (14).
- Supports a strong, healthy immune system (15).
- May improve cardiovascular functioning, via increasing eNOS phosphorylation (18).
- Can remedy adrenal fatigue symptoms, by suppressing adrenal hypertrophy (19).
- Regeneration of atrophied intestinal tissue in rats (28).
How to use
Take 1-2 capsules, up to twice daily.
Need to find the right dose for you? Consider coaching.
L-Theanine does not need to be cycled, and no tolerance is formed. Best results are either chronic or acute.
Students, Stress, Focus, Study.
All vendors are vetted for quality, to ensure they contain the right active ingredients and ratios. Each vendor provides a Certificate of Analysis ℹ️, to ensure accurate dosing, and a product free of contaminants/heavy metals. Further, when brands we work with have been randomly pulled off the shelf and tested by Labdoor, they have tended to score A+ ℹ️.
Before listing products, we compile a list of available research, to determine if claims match the evidence. Likewise, we scour the the internet to gauge people’s experience with each product. Most of the products listed typically score at least [4.5/5 from reviews]. All the studies we’ve found are listed at the bottom of the page, under citations.
All products listed on the BYB website follow screening before listing, to ensure there’s a history of long-term usage without adverse effects. Many products fall under the FDA’s Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) guidelines.
Medication interactions and allergies
Please consult your healthcare professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or regime.
For further information on contraindications and allergies, please visit the vendors website.
Buy from a BYB
Theanine removes any "brain fog" and puts you into a state of complete mental relaxation and focus. It supports work productivity and eliminates distractions. It is highly neuroprotective.
Theanine removes any "brain fog" and puts you into a state of complete mental relaxation and focus. It improves work performance and eliminates distractions, particularly when unde rstress. It is a highly neuroprotective compound.