Shilajit is known as the “Conqueror of Mountains and Destroyer of Weakness”. Traditionally, Shilajit is used as a panacea for all disease as well as a Rasayana (rejuvenator) with promises to increase wellness (1). Shilajit contains fulvic acid and more than 84 minerals, which offers numerous health benefits. The minerals in shilajit are in ionic form, which means the body can easily absorb and move them to areas where the minerals are needed for growth and maintenance of cells (2). Over millions of years, plants and organic matter were trapped by layers of rock in mountainous regions of India and Tibet. The pressure from the weight of the mountains and the extreme temperature changes causes the plants to be transformed into a rich mineral mass that flows out of the rocks. This is how Shilajit is created. Shilajit has been used by Russian athletes and even astronauts to enhance their resilience and performance.
- Displays excellent ability to detoxify heavy metals, which is useful for anyone in the toxic environment we all live in (21).
- Possesses strong anti-inflammatory effects (20).
- Enhances the body’s main antioxidant, superoxide dismutase (24).
- Significantly enhances the immune response (19).
- Increases the effectiveness of all other ingested supplements (18).
- Shilajit is effective in controlling blood glucose levels and improves the lipid profile (23).
- Increases endurance capacity, via upregulating skeletal muscle transcriptome genes (5).
- Enhances collagen production whilst upregulating 17 genes in muscles to optimise performance (7).
- Synergises well with COQ10, enhancing it’s capacity at generating energy at the mitochondrial level. A safe long term strategy to increase energy and prevent fatigue (6).
- Increases adrenal weight, boosting the capacity to secrete corticosterone, attenuating behavioural symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (8).
- Relieves fatigue and enhances the production of ATP, the body’s main energy currency (9).
- Enhances exercise performance under hypoxic conditions, such as at altitude, demonstrating superior adaptogenic potential (13).
- Parasympathomimetic effect of shilajit accounts for relaxation of rat corpus cavernosum (Shaft of the penis), thus allowing better blood flow and erectile performance (26).
- Demonstrates strong ability to increase sperm count, motility and viability (10).
- Increases testosterone production in adult men by up to 23.5% (10).
- Increases DHEA-S, which is critical to mood and libido (11).
- Increases FSH, increasing the number of seminiferous tubular cell layers in the testes (11).
- Increases dopamine in the brain, which is highly useful for increasing motivation, alertness and mood (14).
- Interacts with GABA and Glycine receptors in the brain, which leads to a feeling of ease and calmness, whilst influencing cortisol levels (15).
- Decreases Serotonin (mostly in the hypothalamus), increasing dopamine and 'mimic' glycine, thereby improving memory, libido and motivation (22).
- Inhibits acetylcholinesterase, thus leading to elevated levels of acetylcholine, whilst also inhibiting TAU formation in the brain which is essential to memory and cognitive function (17).
- -Inhibits tolerance to morphine, indicating possible with the opioid system and ability to retard addiction (25).
How to use
It is best to dissolve a pea-size portion of Shilajit in hot, non chlorinated water, tea or warm milk. Alternatively one can dissolve under the tongue or simply swallow a portion if the taste is too unpleasant.
Need to find the right dose for you? Consider coaching.
It may take up to 3 months of consecutive usage for the full benefits of Shilajit to manifest
Athletes, Busy Executives, Stressed workers, Gym-goers.
All vendors are vetted for quality, to ensure they contain the right active ingredients and ratios. Each vendor provides a Certificate of Analysis ℹ️, to ensure accurate dosing, and a product free of contaminants/heavy metals. Further, when brands we work with have been randomly pulled off the shelf and tested by Labdoor, they have tended to score A+ ℹ️.
Before listing products, we compile a list of available research, to determine if claims match the evidence. Likewise, we scour the the internet to gauge people’s experience with each product. Most of the products listed typically score at least [4.5/5 from reviews]. All the studies we’ve found are listed at the bottom of the page, under citations.
All products listed on the BYB website follow screening before listing, to ensure there’s a history of long-term usage without adverse effects. Many products fall under the FDA’s Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) guidelines.
Medication interactions and allergies
Please consult your healthcare professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or regime.
For further information on contraindications and allergies, please visit the vendors website.
Buy from a BYB
This vendor has a very strong reputation and has very happy customers from around the world.
This Shilajit gives a very grounded energy feeling, which lasts for days upon cessation. This provides a nice clean energy that helps you stay on task.