Magtein Magnesium L Threonate, developed by a team of MIT scientists, is a patented form of magnesium. When developing Magtein Magnesium L Threonate, the goal was to have a magnesium amino acid chelate that reached the brain efficiently. Developers decided that the amino acid L-Threonate, which is a metabolite of vitamin C, would be best for this function. L-Threonate is a unique amino acid which appears to enhance mitochondrial function, synaptic density, and neuroplasticity on its own. It partially elevates neuronal intracellular magnesium levels which act as a second messenger. The chelation of Magtein Magnesium L Threonate allows L-Threonate to enhance neuronal intracellular magnesium levels, while the magnesium elevates its levels throughout the body and the brain.
- Mag L-Threonate appears to demonstrate a chemical attraction to the brain. In fact, there is about 5 more times L-Threonate in the brain than the rest of the body. This is a significant finding since it indicates Magnesium L-Threonate may be especially effective at elevating magnesium levels in the brain. Research has indicated that magnesium L-threonate is one of the only forms of magnesium that reaches and enters the brain efficiently at significant levels (1).
- Researchers concluded that Magtein lead to an increase in brain magnesium levels, with an increase in both short-term synaptic facilitation and long-term potentiation, leading to improvements in learning and memory functions (2).
- Elevation of brain magnesium exerts substantial synaptoprotective effects in a mouse model of Alzheimer’s disease, and hence it might have therapeutic potential for treating Alzheimer’s disease (3).
- One randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study examined the effects of Magtein (MMFS-01) on cognitive decline in older adults. A total of 44 participants (age 50-70) with mild cognitive impairment were given placebo or MMFS-01 (25 mg per kg body weight) daily for 12 weeks. Compared to placebo, the MMFS group experienced improvement of cognitive ability and and cognitive fluctuation – large fluctuations in mental capacity over time (such as having “bad days”). nearly restored their cognitive function to the level of healthy adults (4).
- Animal studies demonstrate that Magtein helps reduce fear-related memories, and prevents fear memories from becoming over-generalized—actions that contribute directly to reductions in anxiety (5). While fear plays an important role in keeping us safe from real threats, persistent fearful memories from a specific traumatic occurrence can cause us to become anxious and even paralyzed into inactivity.
- A study conducted at Tsinghua University found that participants reported significant reductions in anxiety, experienced less stress when performing cognitive tasks, and had greater mental clarity. Furthermore, a different paper published in the journal Pain Physician found that Magtein prevents and reverses memory deficits associated with chronic neuropathic pain (6).
How to use
Magtein® Supplement (Magnesium L-Threonate)
2-3 capsules per day.
Need to find the right dose for you? Consider coaching.
Best used on a semi-permanent basis.
Sleep, Brain Health, Athletes.
All vendors are vetted for quality, to ensure they contain the right active ingredients and ratios. Each vendor provides a Certificate of Analysis ℹ️, to ensure accurate dosing, and a product free of contaminants/heavy metals. Further, when brands we work with have been randomly pulled off the shelf and tested by Labdoor, they have tended to score A+ ℹ️.
Before listing products, we compile a list of available research, to determine if claims match the evidence. Likewise, we scour the the internet to gauge people’s experience with each product. Most of the products listed typically score at least [4.5/5 from reviews]. All the studies we’ve found are listed at the bottom of the page, under citations.
All products listed on the BYB website follow screening before listing, to ensure there’s a history of long-term usage without adverse effects. Many products fall under the FDA’s Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) guidelines.
Medication interactions and allergies
Please consult your healthcare professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or regime.
For further information on contraindications and allergies, please visit the vendors website.
Buy from a BYB
Magtein was evaluated in a series of cognitive tests within four major domains of the brain: executive function, working memory, attention and episodic memory. The most striking finding of this Magtein Inventor’s Formula human trial was an improvement in executive function. This improvement is equivalent to a nine-year reduction in "brain age" with just 12 weeks of supplementation.
I am very picky with my magnesium supplements. However this type of magnesium truly does impress me. I'm a huge fan.