Cordyceps offers a wide range of health benefits. Research has shown its powerful effect to improve kidney, adrenal, brain, pancreatic and hormonal health. For athletes and fitness junkies, this herb should be the staple adaptogen, as it trumps almost every other option.
- A few animal studies have shown cordyceps feeding to increase the ratio of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) to inorganic phosphate (Pi) in the liver by 45-55% - an effect that may be viewed as beneficial in terms of energy state and potential for performance enhancement (1).
- Mice fed cordyceps and subjected to an extreme low oxygen environment, were able to utilize oxygen more efficiently (30-50% increase), better tolerate acidosis and hypoxia (lack of oxygen) and live 2-3 times longer than a control group (2).
- A number of Chinese clinical studies, primarily in elderly patients with fatigue, cordyceps-treated patients reported significant improvements in their level of fatigue, ability to tolerate cold temperatures (3).
- In double-blind, placebo controlled trial in humans, cordyceps has significantly improved aerobic capacity in healthy elderly volunteers in cycling ergometer tests and significantly increased maximal oxygen intake and total ventilation capacity during incremental work-rate cycling (4).
- One of the key constituents was shown produce a Rapid and Robust Antidepressant Effect via Enhancing Prefrontal AMPA Receptor Signaling Pathway (5).
- Results suggest that Cordyceps may elicit an antidepressant-like effect by affecting the adrenergic and dopaminergic systems, but not by affecting the serotonergic system. This therefore means Cordyceps may enhance aspects of motivation and attention (6).
- Cordyceps polypeptide may improve learning and memory by scavenging oxygen free radicals, preventing oxidative damage, and protecting the nervous system (7).
- Cordyceps alleviates short-term memory impairment. It showed therapeutic effects through inhibiting cerebral ischemia-induced cell death in the brain (8).
- Improved insulin sensitivity due to cordyceps has been demonstrated in both normal rats and humans. These effects are presumably mediated by the polysaccharide fraction of cordyceps, and multiple polysaccharides from cordyceps which reduce blood sugar in diabetic mice have been identified (9).
- Cordyceps prolongs the lifespan of fruit flies through an anti-oxidative stress pathway involving the upregulation of SOD1 and CAT activity and the inhibition of lipofuscin accumulation in the brain (10).
- Cordyceps inhibits oxidative damage and reduces inflammatory cytokine levels. In addition, it possess anti-inflammatory activities, coupled with strong analgesic properties (11).
- One month of Cordyceps consumption resulted in signficantly lower triglycerides and total cholesterol. The production of HDL cholesterol increased ± 30% after treatment with Cordyceps. This is very interesting, as high HDL levels reduce the risk for heart diseases (12).
How to use
Half teaspoon per dose.
Need to find the right dose for you? Consider coaching.
Cordyceps is tonic herb that is best best taken on a long term basis, to upregulate various epigenetic pathways of the body. Minimum usage is 6-8 weeks.
Athletes, Bodybuilders, Stressed executives.
All vendors are vetted for quality, to ensure they contain the right active ingredients and ratios. Each vendor provides a Certificate of Analysis ℹ️, to ensure accurate dosing, and a product free of contaminants/heavy metals. Further, when brands we work with have been randomly pulled off the shelf and tested by Labdoor, they have tended to score A+ ℹ️.
Before listing products, we compile a list of available research, to determine if claims match the evidence. Likewise, we scour the the internet to gauge people’s experience with each product. Most of the products listed typically score at least [4.5/5 from reviews]. All the studies we’ve found are listed at the bottom of the page, under citations.
All products listed on the BYB website follow screening before listing, to ensure there’s a history of long-term usage without adverse effects. Many products fall under the FDA’s Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) guidelines.
Medication interactions and allergies
Please consult your healthcare professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or regime.
For further information on contraindications and allergies, please visit the vendors website.
Buy from a BYB
Cordyceps can replace coffee for many people. It can provide smooth energy, with zero come-down. It can functionally improve various aspects of the mind and body.
Cordyceps has been a long-term staple in my life for many years. It consistently improves my immune system, energy levels and workout tolerance. I find it can make me much more decisive, and also improves libido (no surprise here). I have tested various Cordyceps extracts, and this one is definitely the strongest and fastest acting.