PHGG increases the concentration of bifidobacterium and lactobacilli species and increases short-chain fatty acids in the colonic lumen [8–13]. It has also been shown to have a positive effect on some medical conditions, e.g., reducing blood cholesterol and controlling blood sugar levels [14–16]. In addition, it was found to be effective in the treatment of acute diarrhea in children and adult patients of intensive care units [17–19]. PHGG has proved to be effective in softening and improving fecal output and increasing bulking capacities (8).
- The intake of PHGG significantly increases ferroportin expression in the cecum, thereby enhancing Iron absorption and preventing iron-deficiency (4).
- High dose PHGG supplement decreases the level in triglyceride, total cholesterol, LDL and VLDL, thereby improving overall cardiovascular health (5).
- When used experimentally, PHGG relieved symptoms in constipation-predominant and diarrhea-predominant forms of IBS and improved the quality of life (1).
- PHGG appears to exert prebiotic properties, by increasing the concentration of intestinal short-chain fatty acids, Lactobacilli and Bifidobacteria (1).
- One study suggests that PHGG can be considered a potential prebiotic compound that may further stimulate the growth of potentially probiotic bacteria or native gut microflora (3).
- Partially hydrolyzed guar gum (PHGG), improves corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH)-induced intestinal dysmotility in rats (7).
- PHGG is excellent for blood sugar control, since it can decrease postprandial blood glucose by lowering the rate of absorption from the small intestine, by reducing the diffusion of glucose in the lumen (2).
- In patients with high blood sugar levels and metabolic syndrome, the addition of PHGG to the usual diet improved cardiovascular and metabolic profiles by reducing WC, HbA1c, UAE and trans-FA (6).
How to use
Partially Hydrolyzed Guar Gum
Need to find the right dose for you? Consider coaching.
Daily use, for longer than 6 weeks appears to exert the greatest effects.
Gut Health, IBS, Digestive discomfort, Diarrhoea, Constipation.
All vendors are vetted for quality, to ensure they contain the right active ingredients and ratios. Each vendor provides a Certificate of Analysis ℹ️, to ensure accurate dosing, and a product free of contaminants/heavy metals. Further, when brands we work with have been randomly pulled off the shelf and tested by Labdoor, they have tended to score A+ ℹ️.
Before listing products, we compile a list of available research, to determine if claims match the evidence. Likewise, we scour the the internet to gauge people’s experience with each product. Most of the products listed typically score at least [4.5/5 from reviews]. All the studies we’ve found are listed at the bottom of the page, under citations.
All products listed on the BYB website follow screening before listing, to ensure there’s a history of long-term usage without adverse effects. Many products fall under the FDA’s Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) guidelines.
Medication interactions and allergies
Please consult your healthcare professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or regime.
For further information on contraindications and allergies, please visit the vendors website.
Buy from a BYB
PHGG is a highly useful type of fiber that can be easily merged into one's current diet and lifestyle. It works best when used longer term and feeds your good bugs.
PHGG is entirely water soluble and completely tasteless. It is super easy to incorporate into smoothies, or even sprinkling on food. It has a very strong normalising effect on stool frequency and consistency. Anyone serious about gut health should aim to take this daily.