Bitter melon helps normalize blood sugar levels, fights bacterial infections & viruses, improves digestive & liver health, reduces respiratory symptoms and may help prevent obesity & heart disease.
- Bitter melon increases UCP1 expression in the white adipose tissue (WAT), thereby supports energy homeostasis and balance (9).
- Bitter melon increases expression of genes related to mitochondria biogenesis, thereby supporting, greater energy efficiency and function (10).
- In Asia, Africa, and the Caribbean for its edible fruit. It is traditionally used in alternative system of medicines as one of the remedy for its anti-diabetic, laxative, anti-ulcer, anti-helminthic and anti-malarial activities (11).
- Bitter melon holds hypoglycemic perspectives owing to different modes of actions, i.e. repairing damaged β-cells, increased insulin levels & its sensitivity, inhibiting the absorption of glucose by inhibiting glucosidase, and also suppresses the activity of disaccharides (5).
- Bitter melon has a modest hypoglycemic effect and significantly reduces fructosamine levels from baseline among patients with type 2 diabetes. However, the hypoglycemic effect of bitter melon was less than metformin 1,000 mg/day, although this is still very promising (6).
- Bitter melon is one of the most commonly used vegetable that contains polypeptide-p and is used to control diabetes naturally. Polypeptide-p or p-insulin is an insulin-like hypoglycemic protein, shown to lower blood glucose levels (7).
- Bitter melon supplementation appears to have benefits in lowering elevated fasting plasma glucose in prediabetes, thereby improving blood sugar control (8).
- Bitter melon demonstrates a beneficial role in obesity and related complications in metabolic syndrome, via modulating fat and sugar metabolism (1).
- Bitter melon can modulate fat metabolizing kinases such as AMPKs, genes, and nuclear factors like PPARs, LXRs, and PGC-1α, in liver and skeletal muscle and affected adipocyte differentiation, suggesting an antidiabetic effect (2).
- In rats body weight and the high level of fasting blood glucose has been improved by the administration of BM extracts about (3).
- Bitter melon contains PPARα and PPARγ activators, that facilitate lipid metabolism, reduce blood lipids, and cause anti-inflammatory activity. This subsequently reduces fat accumulation, resulting in weight-loss effect (4).
How to use
Bitter Melon Extract
Take 1 capsule, with a high calorie meal.
Need to find the right dose for you? Consider coaching.
Bitter melon works best when used long term, as it can take time to modulate various enzymes and hormones responsible for excellent health.
Athletes, Blood sugar control, anyone with a family history of diabetes.
All vendors are vetted for quality, to ensure they contain the right active ingredients and ratios. Each vendor provides a Certificate of Analysis ℹ️, to ensure accurate dosing, and a product free of contaminants/heavy metals. Further, when brands we work with have been randomly pulled off the shelf and tested by Labdoor, they have tended to score A+ ℹ️.
Before listing products, we compile a list of available research, to determine if claims match the evidence. Likewise, we scour the the internet to gauge people’s experience with each product. Most of the products listed typically score at least [4.5/5 from reviews]. All the studies we’ve found are listed at the bottom of the page, under citations.
All products listed on the BYB website follow screening before listing, to ensure there’s a history of long-term usage without adverse effects. Many products fall under the FDA’s Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) guidelines.
Medication interactions and allergies
Please consult your healthcare professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or regime.
For further information on contraindications and allergies, please visit the vendors website.
Buy from a BYB
Bitter melon represents as a staple herb for anyone looking to maintain healthy blood sugar balance and insulin levels.
Bitter melon allows me to eat a high carbohydrate diet, without seeing dramatic changes in my blood sugar and insulin levels. In addition, it gives me greater energy levels in the gym and wicked blood sugar